THE DRAWING BOARD - Daily updates
July 16th, 2009
Motivation

Return to gallery
Heath Ledger, Joker Art by Jeff Lafferty

Back on the Joker, here I’m working in the true blacks.

Thanks for the comment yesterday Adam, and in regards to what you where talking about. I think that’s why I seem to gravitate toward sketch cards rather than bigger pieces. They’re so quick, it seems to keep them perpetually interesting. Also there’s always something else I want to paint as soon as I’m finished with the one I’m on.

I think, in the beginning it was sort of the general consensus with a lot of people who had watched my art over the years, that when I went to sketch cards and just movie art in general, that I was doing it because it was the ‘hot item’ and that I was kind of pandering to what sells. Its not really true though. I actually love drawing this stuff and its really no different than what I was drawing for myself in my sketch books for fun.

Every time I get on a illustration project from someone. Its cool, and its neat that they actually want to hire me, and all that. By the same token (and I’ve always been this way) I would rather just draw whatever I’m interested in at the moment, and handle the business end of what I’m doing myself. I really like the self-publishing aspect of sketch cards. I’m just not into being a cog in someone else’s wheel.

With the exception of commissions of course, I do like doing commissions. For some reason that seems different to me. Of course I say all this, but if DC called me tomorrow and said “Jeff, we need a Batman cover!” I’d say “ok”

That was a bit of a tangent but I guess it had something to do with the motivation aspect of what I was talking about.

I’m assuming that it was actually Adam Schickling that commented. He’s another really impressive artist that I’ve met through the web. Here’s his site - Link I know Adam was planning on getting into sketch cards and he had showed me quiet a collection. (I especially liked what he did with some of characters from ‘Lost‘) I do watch EBay, but never did see any of his go through there, so I wondered how all that went.

Adam, if you still around, give me an update.

See you tommorrow
Jeff
Read yesterdays update