THE DRAWING BOARD - Daily updates
July 14th, 2009
Joe Kubert

Return to gallery

Caves Painting By Jeff Lafferty

I’ve got to say, I really enjoyed the George Pratt interview over at SideBarNation.com - Link

I listened to the rest of it last night and a lot of the stuff George was talking about really rang true with me. I liked the story he told about meeting Michael Kaluta and Charles Vess for the first time.

I’ll never forget meeting Joe Kubert for the first time in a San Diego Airport. This was back in the late nineties and I had been working in comics for about a year, I'd already met quite a few pros, so I had alreday gotten a lot of that fan boy stuff out of my system, but when I met Joe, damn! I just couldn’t help but think back and remember lying on the floor of my Grandmothers house when I was really little, six or seven and copying the cover of a Tarzan comic. It was one of the oversized additions that DC put out back in the seventies. It was Tarzan fighting a lion and Joe was the artist on it. It was like one of my earliest memories of drawing! That was one of those, "Oh my God, I’m actually here talking to this guy, and he’s talking back to me like I’m an equal or something, but in my own mind I’m not, I’m just an eight year old kid on the floor copying a Tarzan comic."

I told that story to Joe later and I remember he just kind of nodded his head and smiled to himself. I think it made him feel good.

A new print is up in the store, Denise Milani - Link

See you tommorrow
Jeff
Read yesterdays update