Return to gallery
Obi Wan Kenobi (Pencil study) ACEO Sketch Card by Jeff Lafferty

Title: Obi Wan Kenobi (Pencil Study)
Size: 2 1/2” x 3 1/2” inches - ACEO sketch card
Medium: Colored pencil and gesso on illustration board
Year: 2008
Private Collection (Sold)

I love these little pencil studies.

The pencil studies are a completely separate 'work of art' from the painted card. I do them to work out the composition and light and shadow. They are drawn on a grey illustration board. When I'm finished with the drawing, I transfer it (using a graphite transfer paper) to a separate sheet of white illustration board. This gives me a new, clean white surface on which to paint. I do it this way for two reasons. First, I have a fondness for the drawings and want to preserve them and second, an ACEO card is only 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" inches. To take a piece from a blank sheet of paper to a finished painting is a lot of wear and tear for such a tiny little surface.