Return to gallery
Kurt Russell as MacReady (Pencil study) ACEO Sketch Card by Jeff Lafferty

Title: MacReady (Pencil Study)
Size: 2 1/2” x 3 1/2” inches - ACEO Sketch Card
Medium: Colored pencil and gesso on illustration board
Year: 2009
Private Collection (Sold)

When I was a kid I had this recurring nightmare. I was trapped on a space station and everyone was dead. One by one they would wake up like a zombies and try and kill me.

That’s what sneaking out of bed when your ten to watch the late night horror movies will get you.

I think that’s why movies like The Thing and Alien can endure and are so damn great still. They tap into that primal fear of being alone with no help and something is out there waiting to get you. That isolation of a space ship or an artic research station, its not like you can just walk out of there or call the police, your stuck! and as your friends get picked off, your more and more alone until ...

When I was re-watching The Thing, getting ready to do these cards. I defiantly felt a little twinge of that original “Oh my God! get it the fuck away from me!” feeling that I had when I saw it the first time. Its still a great movie.